Monday, June 3, 2013

it reminds me

the color yellow,
it reminds me
of the mustard stain
on that old ranger’s shirt
(it eventually became mine)
that time
you caught a foul ball,
cheeks rosy and chaffed
from the wind
 
we snuck out,
giggling, like teenagers
on a first date
while Bibby was pitching,
to that drafty old ford
that was always out of gas
made it back inside
for the last inning
pretended not to notice
that couple who stared
(a few buttons were missing) 

when it’s almost raining,
but not quite
just a slow trickle,
gaining momentum,
it reminds me
of early mornings,
and your broken coffee pot,
how it would sputter
the grounds would float,
dark, like ants,
when you added cream
and i would turn up my nose,
and drink it black

i would sit in front of your stove
because the heater was broken
and read
while you worked intently
at your math

caught you staring
through the doorway,
once

i remember how you laughed
and laughed

(and laughed)

5 comments:

  1. loooooooooove it!

    these sound like good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one hell of a writer, Lauren. a poet, in fact. you're good at making me see what you see, all while keeping it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you have an inner-hopeless-romantic just wanting to burst through :-) I know you may not see it that way but I just get that feeling when reading your writing.

    ReplyDelete