Saturday, January 19, 2013

Tales from the Laundromat


gray machines
from the 70’s, i’m sure
moaning, spitting


sit on top
as my clothes swirl and bubble
legs hang over
toe-nail polish is chipped,
faded like the paint on my old car

an old lady is here
folds of skin tumble down her arms
like an avalanche
eyes down,
she mutters
to no one in particular


wonder where she came from

a black man comes in
asks me if i want to dance-
says the leaves are carpeting central park
and it’s prime time for lovin'
two girls kiss at the coin machine
their tongues unabashedly doing
some ancient indian tribal dance

wonder if their mothers know

gaze out the filmy window
and see her
all legs, red lips
climb into an 86’ crumbling v
olkswagen 

breath catches, but only for a second
i’m not even surprised.

i wonder if she knows that his wife knows?

they drive away in my old-rusted car
i toss in another dryer sheet
i’d rather buy nail-polish than paint, anyway



So I wrote this about a woman who, like me, likes to watch, and observe, but doesn't really feel comfortable participating. She is at the laundromat, doing her thing, and spies her husband cheating on her. I'm not happy with the last stanza though; sometimes, people don't "get" it, so I need to clear it up. Consider this the unedited version. Will come back to it, later.

2 comments:

  1. I GOT this one! Without the explanation at the end. But I'm kinda brilliant, so edit away if you so desire. However, I think it's perfect the way it is. The bolded "my" did it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, that was some nice writing. I think you're good at it.

    The laundromat is a strangely sacred place to me, I spent a lot of time in a few as a kid. My poor mom never owned a washer or dryer, but we got a lot of good talks instead. I appreciate what you do as a single mother, and so will your son.

    Still haven't found it. Haha

    ReplyDelete